What Is Shin Splits
Prolonged running causes acute pain in the shin and lower leg, typically on hard surfaces.The term “shin splints” describes pain felt along the inner edge of your shin bone. Shin splint pain concentrates in the lower leg between the knee and ankle. Your doctor may refer to the condition as medial tibial stress syndrome.
Causes of Shin Splits
The pain associated with shin splits often results from excessive amount of force on the shin bone. Shin splits can also result from stress reactions to bone fractures. Minutes crack could occur in the bones of the leg due to constant pounding. Those cracked bones could lead to a complete fracture if they are not provided with enough rest.
Symptoms of Shin Splits
- A dull ache in the front part of the lower leg
- Pain that develops during exercise
- Pain on either side of the shin bone
- Muscle pain
- Pain along the inner part of the lower leg
- Tenderness or soreness along the inner part of the lower leg
- Swelling in the lower leg (usually mild, if present)
- Numbness and weakness in the feet